Things happen for a reason. Even delays. Even those times you are forced to wait, when the schedule doesn’t go as planned. There is a reason. Do we know what it is at the time? Usually we know the “surface” reason, but the deeper reason may not be readily apparent. So what’s the take away?
Well, for a Type-A person like me it is important to believe . . . and know in my heart . . . that everything has purpose and that the purpose of this delay is not the capricious whim of an all-powerful God who loves to watch his creatures squirm. I’m so grateful for this truth. I can soothe myself with it; kind of like quieting an impatient or fretful child who needs a nap.
So, along with the above I have developed a few waiting strategies that help me make use of the time.
- Remember it’s not about me. I’m on assignment. If God prefers me to wait twenty minutes for a client, so what?
- Look around – note the beauty – sky, trees, grass, etc. Listen – the birds have an ongoing concert. Enjoy it!
- Maybe this is a good time to close your eyes and just be at peace.
- Chances are we never do enough of it.
- Make scriptural affirmation. I carry a little notebook of verses that tell me who I am in Christ and others that remind me that nothing is impossible with God.
Things that are NOT useful to promote productive waiting.
- Thinking negative thoughts.
- Talking on the phone, checking social media, etc. Doing these things does not help you stay in the moment.
Delay is a divine intervention. Heaven has something to say! It is a blessing. Take the time to listen.
“Be still and know that I am God”