Baby boomers are those thousands born between 1946 and 1964. The signature of this generation has been their unflagging self-reliance and resilience coupled with their “can-do” attitude. Shaped by the upheaval of the moral, political, and Cultural Revolution of the 1960’s, boomers witnessed the Cuban missile crisis, the birth of the Civil Rights Movement, mankind’s first steps on the moon, and the beginning of the phenomenon known as the Beatles! Free love and experimental drugs known as the “hippie movement” opened doors for wide-eyed youths that shaped their lives for good or bad.
Now the first wave of boomers are reaching retirement and entering a whole new season of life. Retirement for the greatest generation looked very different from that of the average baby boomer. Retirement for this first generation of boomers is characterized by several factors including these:
1. Boomers are younger and healthier than their predecessors and are not ready to retire to the front porch rocking chair.
2. Many boomers find themselves in financial circumstances that do not allow them to stop working and live on their retirement income.
3. Another group finds they are challenged with raising grandchildren or have responsibility for the care of their aging parents.
How does life coaching benefit boomers facing these and a myriad of other challenges?
1. Changing Perspective. Life coaching provides an alternate viewpoint that will help the client develop a successful strategy for meeting the challenge.
2. Reinforcing Strengths. A great life coach will help the client revisit and reassess their experience and strengths. In doing so the client will be able to adapt and apply their existing abilities and talents to meet the new challenge.
3. Reviving Dreams. As boomers aged many of their dreams were forgotten or marginalized, swallowed up in the twists and turns of life. A great life coach will help the client explore those lost dreams that can be realized now. It’s not too late to create a new sense of worth and re-energize one’s life.
4. Moving through Loss and grief. We all experience loss throughout life including those due to the death of loved ones, divorce, careers, and financial reverses, just to name a few. Boomers have experienced many of these losses and may find they are bogged down in the process. A great life coach will help the client move through grief and loss to a new, productive season of life.
5. Learning to Forgive. Unforgiveness is like chewing gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe! It goes with you wherever you go and picks up other unwanted “stuff”. A great life coach will help a client (1) understand forgiveness and (2) identify those who need to be forgiven, starting with oneself. Forgiveness NEVER means the hurt inflicted was okay!
These are only five good reasons a great life coach can help a baby boomer. Come to think of it these are good reasons why everyone can be helped by life coaching! Hope for All Seasons Christian Life Coaching focuses on the unchanging spiritual principles to equip the client to face the present challenge and move into the future with confidence.
It will soon be a new year. Why not make it a new start. New beginnings are exciting. New seasons are filled with promise. Contact me for more information about life coaching and how it may be the best thing you’ve done for yourself in years!